Friday, December 10, 2010

Nativities on Parade

So, I wanted to show off my nativity collection - I love nativities.  My ultimate goal is to have them from all over the world, but it'll probably be awhile.  In the meantime, let me show you what I've got so far.  If you love nativities as well, enjoy the ride.  If not, at least scroll down to the bottom to see one you won't want to miss!

 This one is from Italy . . . Dave and I got it while we were on our honeymoon.  We bought it in Venice - it's all glass, which is what Venetians are famous for.  I love the simplicity.


Here's another one I love.  It was given to me by one of my best friends ever . . . she knows my love of nativities and gave it to me as a gift.


I can't remember where I got this one.  It's so small, and yet so perfect.  As you can see with the hinge, it can be opened or closed.


This next one is a gift I received from my in-laws last year.  It is unique and wonderful.  If you notice, it has 4 spaces around the outside for candles, and when you light them, it makes the paddles turn the nativity around.


 Here's a closer look:


 Here is one given to me by my brother- and sister-in-law, they sent it to me from Hawaii while they were stationed there.  It is carved from a coconut!  It's probably not going to surprise you when I say I love this one as well. :)


 And, another favorite.  I hope to eventually get all the pieces.


 A few closeups:



 And here it is, all together:


Yes, we finally got our stockings up!


Sigh.  I just love Christmas.

Okay, okay, and now for the GRAND FINALE - 

I received permission to share this with you and hope you'll love it as much as I do - 
How to make a kid-friendly creche:

Keep the spirit of the season in your home by re-purposing contents in the toy box to produce a viable nativity scene. Get the kiddies to help.

First, suspend your belief that only sheep and donkeys were present on that Holy Night. Giraffes, aliens, dinosaurs...why not? And in that vein, Joseph could be an astronaut, and Mary, Mulan. See where this is going?



Second, it helps to have a little toy baby to put in the center of a teething donut (from Darlybird!) but if you don't have either you could probably use a Lego guy and a real donut. (I like glazed.)



Third, use action hero guys to play the shepherds, (I beg you to defy that appropriateness). As it happens, these shepherds in particular are also excellent hygienists, but that's another biblical story for another holiday...



Fourth, it would also be appropriate to use your Made in Japan toys to represent the wisemen because everyone knows they came from the Orient! Thanks Dumo Kun and your twin and puppy. Their gifts, twin briefcases and myrrh are found in front of manger. They never forget the presents those wisemen, it makes them happy. See? See?



Fifth, if you believe in them, put a "floating angel" (Trompe d'oeil! It's really just a leg to a Connect Four game piece) blessing the blessed congregation.



Welp, there you have it. Five easy steps to a complicated creche. Easy to be destroyed, easy to be repaired--which is symbolic in away right?

Anyway, I think it's sorta sweet.


Thanks so much for letting me share this Jane!

Go visit Jane @ C Jane Enjoy It!




4 comments:

  1. I love the coconut nativity! And someday I hope to have all the Willow Tree nativity pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, I love those! I love Willow Tree so much! And your photography skills, I love that pic of baby Jesus and everything is blurred around him - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, that was actually Jane, not me, but thanks for thinking I could be that talented!

    ReplyDelete